What Is Early Treatment?
Early treatment may prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated. In some cases, Dr. Zeifman will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
Choosing the Best Time for Treatment
While the age that kids get braces may vary, orthodontic treatment most often begins between the ages of 9 and 14. Some orthodontic problems are easier to correct if they are treated early.
If Dr. Zeifman thinks your child will need treatment, she'll let you know when it'll be best to begin.
This gives Dr. Zeifman the best chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and self-esteem in your child
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
Signs the Bite’s Not Right
It's not always easy to tell when your child may need braces or has an orthodontic problem. Even teeth that look straight may be hiding a problem bite. Here are some clues that may indicate the need for orthodontic attention:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
- Protruding teeth
- Upper and lower teeth that don't meet, or meet in an abnormal way
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
Invisalign for Kids
Invisalign created a clear aligner system for children ages 7-10 called Invisalign First®. This unique system can help with spacing issues, expand dental arches, and even leaves space for new teeth to come in as your child grows.
The best part is that Invisalign for kids is that it won’t get in the way of the hygiene habits you’ve already worked on building. Your child can continue to brush and floss as usual, and they don’t have to miss out on the fun of their favorite foods.
Any kind of orthodontic treatment can be a scary responsibility for kids. During the first six months of your child’s Invisalign treatment, they’ll only wear their aligners at home and at night to ease into the routine. After that, they’ll wear them full time.
Learn More at Your Free Consultation
If your child has a dental issue, please contact us by scheduling a free consultation. We'd love to discuss your child's orthodontic options and develop a treatment plan that is customized to your child's needs and desires.